Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Heart is Broken


7 years ago I walked into the Clagary shelter looking for a little dog. Little dogs were impossible to find but I didn't want another big dog. Week after week I returned to the shelter. Every single week I saw the sweetest pair of brown eyes. In the same cage each week there she was. A big girl with the saddest face. The only dog that NEVER barked. She was quite, she was alone and had been there 4 weeks in a row. Before my final visit to the shelter I said that if she was there this time I was taking her home. That was 7 years ago. They thought she was about 7 years old then with bad hips. She was dropped off at the shelter and had been there for 3 months......all alone. I rescued her from 3 months of hell.
I gave her a best friend, a good life and hopefully everything she could have ever wanted. She was safe, loved and even spolied.
Today I said goodbye forever and I am lost without her.
My heart is broken.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am positive Kasey knew how lucky she was to have you. How could any dog not like the life you provide. Right now she is chasing rabbits and looking over you guys knowing that someday, she will be your snuggle dog again.

Life is Love Cherish Life said...

Thanks Dave & Laurel,
It is nice to have support from 2 people that love animals as much as I do. I just feel so guilty and sad.

Anonymous said...

You should only feel joy and happiness that Casey is now healed and running with her mom and dad. She did what she needed to do, and that was fill your heart with warmth and happiness. She brought you joy and undivided love everyday. You have repaid her by giving her eternal life and health. That's the best thing you can do for your animals.

Anonymous said...

Janna
As we spoke of last night, there should be no guilt on your part. Kasey found you here in Calgary and you gave her 7 great years with you, she might not have had that with someone else. The hardest thing is letting go. Kasey brought joy to your life and that can never be erased. And you definately did the same for her.
She was a good friend and so are you.
Thinking of you.
Love
Barb